While conventional business wisdom has resorted to the tired adage of “the customer is always right”, this can actually cause serious harm to your business. Instead, Tim Barrett suggests placing the business’s focus on wowing the employees. You’ll learn about how this framework impacts customer relationships, engages your team, and the incredible opportunity business leaders have to impact the lives of others.
- If you put the needs of your customers ahead of the needs of your employees, you are actually doing a disservice to your company.
- A Wow Pyramid consists of three levels and indicates which section delivers value to the others. The largest, foundational level is the employees, the middle section is the customers, and the topmost level is the company.
- The company focuses on giving value to the employees, which translates into the employees providing value to the customers. Then, the customers, having received all that value, give value to the company, which the company gives back to the employees.
- There are a few keys to wowing your employees that include removing roadblocks for them, investing in technology to help them, and using open books to allow them to see how their work directly results in quarterly gain share sums which they earn.
- As business leaders, you have the opportunity and ability to make a massive difference in a lot of people’s lives. One of the best things you can do is to provide opportunities for everyone on your team to succeed.
- Get to know as many people on your team as you can. This will help you gain perspective from new voices as well as understand those employees and develop empathy for everyone in your business and their unique situations.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tim-barrett-b291451/
- Company website: https://www.barrettdistribution.com/
Quote of the Show
- “The base of our pyramid starts with wowing our employees. And, we really feel like when we effectively do that, they in turn will wow the customers” - Tim Barrett
Ways to Tune In:
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/leadership-in-action/id1585042233
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/2t4Ksk4TwmZ6MSfAHXGkJI
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/leadership-in-action
- Google Play - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGVhZGVyc2hpcGluYWN0aW9uLmxpdmUvZmVlZC54bWw
- Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/4263fd02-8c9b-495e-bd31-2e5aef21ff6b/leadership-in-action
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/D2ykxDxtLMo