Today’s guest is an entrepreneurial change agent who has co-founded and founded several startups resulting in three successful exits. He’s been a member of EO Boston since 2016. Christian Magel is the Managing Partner and Co-Founder Of Venture Lane Studio. Christian and Mark chat about the best way to find your employee’s strengths and weaknesses, how to create a culture of openness, and where to find a good oyster.
- As an entrepreneur, it’s not all about yourself. Showing vulnerability opens many gates to great leadership.
- While you may feel like you need to lead, and everything is on your shoulders, teamwork will always create a more successful environment.
- Each employee will have different strengths and weaknesses and likes and dislikes. By promoting open communication, employees can find areas in which they can assist others with their dislikes.
- As an entrepreneur, you should be looking to hire people to “put yourself out of work”. Instead of managing 8 different jobs by yourself, find the people who can take those responsibilities from you, thus freeing up your time.
- As the leader of an organization, your employees will mimic your behavior. Leading with openness will create a more open and communicative environment.
- As a startup, being part of an incubator helps with the early, metric-driven stages of being a startup.
- Startups are expected to have issues. It’s not about if it works or not, it’s about how quickly you can come to the realization that it’s not working.
Quote of the Show
- “I follow the philosophy I need to fire myself.” - Christian Magel
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/christianmagel?s=20&t=sgO84muW8czDErpmgIDi2g
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christian-magel/
- Website: https://theventurelane.com/
Ways to Tune In:
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/leadership-in-action/id1585042233
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/2t4Ksk4TwmZ6MSfAHXGkJI
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/leadership-in-action
- Google Play - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGVhZGVyc2hpcGluYWN0aW9uLmxpdmUvZmVlZC54bWw
- Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/4263fd02-8c9b-495e-bd31-2e5aef21ff6b/leadership-in-action
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/SmTGa_XDQLw