Everyone points to the most famous or most controversial people when discussing ‘great leaders’ but most entrepreneurs can’t and/or shouldn’t apply what those ‘leaders’ do. The President-Elect of EO Boston, Lisa Vitale, is here to set the record straight on leadership. You’ll learn about developing leaders in your team, what the true essence of leadership is and how to involve your team when planning for the future. Start revitalizing how you think about leadership and create more leaders.
- At its core, leadership should not focus on the leader. The focus of leadership should be on empowering others and being courageous. Don’t get caught up in the celebrity that some leaders achieve.
- Much is said of the visionaries who are very hard and very negative to their employees, which for some, can lead to results. Most entrepreneurs and small business owners don’t have this luxury.
- Have a defined process for debriefing with your team that outlines what went well, what didn’t and one to three possible ways to fix those things that didn’t go too well.
- As a leader, you should do everything within your power to promote and develop those around you and help form them into leaders so that if you were not there, they could still run things. Think of it as ‘firing’ yourself from the day to day tasks.
- When there is a problem don’t overreact and make sure not to be overly harsh with the perpetrator. Empathize with them and try to relate their mistake to one you yourself have made. Stay disciplined and create connections with others, don’t sever them.
- Be sure to really take ownership of your mistakes, this builds accountability and promotes a better work environment. Make sure not to expect different treatment than anyone else.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help! You can’t know everything, you should be able to rely on your team when you may not have the most accurate answer. This will help your team develop a sense of ownership and leadership.
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/lisa-vitale-a820b53
- Twitter: @SimplyDIRECT_Co
- Company website: https://simplydirect.com/
Quote of the Show
- “Being a good leader is not about the leader, it's really about having courage” -Lisa Vitale
- The Big Leap by Gay Henderson
- Vivid Vision by Cameron Harold
- Bill Flynn - Coach
Ways to Tune In:
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/leadership-in-action/id1585042233
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/2t4Ksk4TwmZ6MSfAHXGkJI
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/leadership-in-action
- Google Play - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGVhZGVyc2hpcGluYWN0aW9uLmxpdmUvZmVlZC54bWw
- Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/4263fd02-8c9b-495e-bd31-2e5aef21ff6b/leadership-in-action
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/VubMucDD1Ag