So many people are stuck on trying to create clearly marked dividers between their work life and home life, but the world is changing and the two have become more blurred than ever. Instead of trying to disentangle the two, Cheryl Jones encourages us to embrace the blurred lines of life. She goes through a simple mindfulness exercise that you can follow along with and use in your everyday life. Learn how to be present in the moment, restructure your schedules to be less stressful, and promote more positive conversation and interactions with others.
- In real life, the idea of compartmentalization is a myth, we are whole people and it’s not possible or feasible for us to split ourselves up into smaller chunks, with parts only for work, or family.
- We now experience a “blur” of work life, home life, etc. regardless of the actual setting. This has been exacerbated by the pandemic, with the loss of separation between the different arenas of life, such as the commute between work and home.
- Mindfulness is being present for whatever is happening within us and around us and letting that awareness of what’s happening in the moment inform what we do next.
- Being present requires a willingness to stop. Being present in the moment helps to get you out of the “fight or flight” mentality we can get stuck in while grinding through our days and allows us to better determine our priorities.
- A “Mindfulness Practice” is just being willing to stop, to be still, to be with ourselves, and to learn how to be with ourselves for 5-15 minutes a day.
- If you have a lot of meetings, you should try to either reschedule the least important one or build time into your schedule to allow you to do a mindfulness exercise.
- Set limits on things like checking your inbox while you’re at home. While you still may need to do that thing, don’t let it take over your life while you are trying to do something else, like getting kids to bed for example
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/cherylljones
- Company Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/people/Cheryl-Jones/1611997125/
- Company Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thrivingwithcheryl/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdVmaWJt703GQcgiSSBiWqA
- Company website: thrivingwithcheryljones.com
- Book: https://www.amazon.com/Thriving-When-Your-Cosmic-Cracked/dp/1495813290
Quote of the Show
- “Stopping actually helps us to go with more clarity, with more purpose, with greater ease, with less wear and tear on ourselves and each other.” - Cheryl Jones
Ways to Tune In:
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/leadership-in-action/id1585042233
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/2t4Ksk4TwmZ6MSfAHXGkJI
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/leadership-in-action
- Google Play - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGVhZGVyc2hpcGluYWN0aW9uLmxpdmUvZmVlZC54bWw
- Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/4263fd02-8c9b-495e-bd31-2e5aef21ff6b/leadership-in-action
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/uD4P_1TqtOs