Delegation is a misunderstood concept which is thrown around in business circle without any thought as to how to implement it or why it’s important. Tony Fields is here to set the record straight on delegation. You’ll learn different levels of delegation and the escalating expectations that come from them and how they can help with clear communication. Discover how to develop, understand, and increase buy in within your team.
- Delegation is not just on or off. There are different levels of delegation which convey different messages as to the proper feedback that is expected. Each level has a higher amount of authority and requires a higher amount of trust.
- There are six levels to delegation: 1. Do as I say; 2. Look into this for me; 3. Give me your advice, but I’ll decide; 4. Explore, decide, but check before submitting; 5. Explore, decide, commit if within limits; 6. Just get it done.
- You can help your team develop if you start defaulting to level 3 delegation which asks for their opinion and feedback in the decision process. By getting them involved in the process, they are more willing to buy in and stay committed.
- DISC is a framework to understand a person’s personality and motivations. Using DISC can help improve the effectiveness of your communication by using the right approach for each person based on their DISC assessment.
- A great way to use DISC is to have everyone on your team take the assessment and then share the results with everyone so they are all able to understand how best to communicate with each other.
- Although you may be very strong in one area, if you try to talk with everyone at that high level, you won’t be able to effectively communicate. Be aware of your strengths and when discussing them, try to talk to the average person’s understanding of them.
- The Hybrid work environment is not just a trend, it is here to stay and businesses need to accept that. Even now applicants are turning down positions without the option of working remotely.
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonyfields/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/bigtone30
- Company website: https://www.cleartechgroup.com/
Quote of the Show
- “What we can do as leaders is to also come with a learning mentality, and if you give your team the ability to teach, you're going to learn more” - Tony Fields
- The Replaceable Founder by Ari Meisel
- The Go-Giver by Bob Burg and John David Mann
- The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek
Ways to Tune In:
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/leadership-in-action/id1585042233
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/2t4Ksk4TwmZ6MSfAHXGkJI
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/leadership-in-action
- Google Play - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGVhZGVyc2hpcGluYWN0aW9uLmxpdmUvZmVlZC54bWw
- Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/4263fd02-8c9b-495e-bd31-2e5aef21ff6b/leadership-in-action
- YouTube - https://youtu.be/oOynPVXkbtA